Tuesday, June 27, 2006

On the day in 1969

Does everyone know what day is it today?
In 1939, the final seen in Gone With the Wind was shot ( did you know it was supposed to be "frankly my dear, I don't care !")
In 1958, Truman ordered troops into Korea
In 1975, Sonny and Cher got divorced.
And for all you Tom Cruise fans, Days of Thunder was release in 1990, but the most important thing was this :
On June 27th of the year 1969 ... Nancy was born.
Nancy and I have been friends ever since Mr. Poloso sat us next to each other in the 6th grade, he had no clue what he was doing - 25 years and counting.
And if I know Nancy ... I know that someday she wouldn't mind having a gala in her honor here.
Or have a private viewing of this amazing exhibit ... her alone with all these Egyptian goodies.

Hatshepsut: From Queen to Pharaoh

And if she really really pressed the issue, and if I could fit into that cat suit and sneak into the joint ( yeah right )... she would kill for this sculpture by Rodin.

But instead my friend Nancy will have to be happy with some goodies that I got her, and my undying love and adoration.

She is a beautiful woman

An amazing partner to her husband and an amazing mother.

In the good and the bad times she was a good daughter who grew into good friend to her mother in time of need. A daughter who had an great relationship with her Daddy.

The friend who knows all my secrets and still still lets me into her house.

The only one who understands the importance of chocolate babka, raisin cake, and a great pot of coffee during all those moments of spiritual unrest.


And the one who will be there when the days are long and hard or there to answer the phone when I call asking :

"YO " do you wanna go to a Crue concert next month? Who cares that will be 52 years old at the time.

Happy Birthday Nan! ... Haven't we come a long long way!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post!!! A great friendship like this is rare! Enjoy the day!! (love those glasses) ;)

Nancy Wetmore-Mathews said...

Ok you made me cry and not just because of that picture.

I love you. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous post! Happy Birthday to Nancy! She is a remarkable woman and I am so glad to have met her via our blog world.

And I love the picture too.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous post! Happy Birthday to Nancy! She is a remarkable woman and I am so glad to have met her via our blog world.

And I love the picture too.

Anonymous said...

I got here via Nancy's blog, and that is just a beautiful tribute to her on her birthday!

AngeliasKnitting said...

Awwww! Such a sweet post! Made me think of my best friend (22 years!).

I'm so glad to have "met" you & Nancy - you both are so nice & kind & helpful.

(I hope it's not pouring today in NYC like it is here!) :-)

Gina said...

What a sweet post. You are lucky to have each other as friends.

Vicki Knitorious said...

Oh, how sweet -- what a wonderful friend you are!!!

Lucia said...

Looks like a great place for a party. Happy birthday, Nancy! Great post.